Say Goodbye to Dysfunctional Management: Time to Adopt a New Approach

Dysfunctional management is a growing problem in modern businesses, but many organisations still choose to pretend that it does not exist.

Management is often seen as the solution to complex problems, but the reality is that it is not always effective. In fact, research has shown that a significant percentage of management practices are dysfunctional, and the impact of this dysfunction is both quantifiable and significant.

According to Prof. Gary Hamel, a leading expert in management, only 10% of management practices are considered effective, while the remaining 90% are dysfunctional. This dysfunction is characterised by a lack of creativity, a lack of accountability, and an inability to lead effectively. In addition, many management practices are based on outdated assumptions and are not in line with the changing needs of the workforce.

The impact of dysfunctional management is significant, and can be seen in the form of low morale, high turnover, and reduced productivity. A study by the Harvard Business Review found that companies with high levels of employee engagement and low levels of turnover outperformed their peers by up to 147%. In addition, companies with engaged employees were found to be 21% more profitable than those with low levels of employee engagement.

The concept of management itself is also questionable, as it is based on the assumption that managers are better equipped to lead than other employees. However, this is rarely the case, as many managers are not trained in leadership or do not possess the necessary skills to effectively manage their teams. As a result, many organisations find themselves struggling to achieve their goals and to maintain their competitive edge.

Given the problems associated with dysfunctional management, it may be time to consider abandoning management entirely. Instead, organisations could adopt a different approach, such as the SAS (Special Air Service) approach used by the British Special Forces. This approach emphasises fellowship, collaboration, flexibility, and adaptability, and encourages individuals to take ownership. By adopting this approach, organisations can ensure that their employees are engaged, motivated, and committed to achieving their goals.

In conclusion,let’s not pretend that dysfunctional management does not exist. The impact of this dysfunction is quantifiable and significant, and it’s well past time for organisations to consider alternative approaches. By adopting alternative approaches, organisations can build a culture of collaboration, creativity, and accountability, and can ensure that employees are engaged and motivated. It is time to abandon management and embrace a new, more effective approach.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *